Unpolished Gem

Saturday, June 10, 2006

I've been meaning to write this for some time but i could never get my butt to sit still enough at the blogger home page. Afterall, there is always tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. The xxx number of days i have in London, probably more than most people.

On the eve of shifting my stuff out of this little nest of mine, i look around and realize that i actually do like this make shift hole/semi pigsty (Mum wouldn't be pleased, but she wouldn't be here to see either, muahaha). How ironic, at a point when the room at its messiest and dirtiest, all the dust floating around in the room when the afternoon sun shines through (It's freakin' hot now, the room and everywhere else, it's almost like home! Can't believe the day i actually sweat has come). Soon, no more swipe cards, no more going... "SH**, I locked myself out of the room!" immediately after i close the door behind me, no more having to change for 20p coins for laundry. I'm so glad i changed my room in the end, otherwise I wouldn't be able to shake to the Cuban beat or pretend I'm a diva like Mariah Carey or Toni Braxton or squeal in delight upon seeing my dearest Roque in action on the pitch (even though he underperformed :( ) or jump onto the bed and hop around like a bunny when the last paper ended.

Came over, innocent, ignorant and holding on to mummy's hand for guidance. I was looking through my old emails and i can't believe i actually asked a senior if it was necessary to bring a kettle over, sounds so ridiculous now. And how i asked someone along Houghton street where Peacock theatre was. Those were the days. Where London was a big scary city, dirty and dodgey in certain areas, crowded, polluted, congested and absolutely busy, it still is and I was almost panicking the thought of living in such a place. Yet there was a certain allure about it, be it the cobbled streets of Covent Garden where I've set foot on countless times, the expanse of Hyde Park, my everlasting favourite Bayswater, Chinatown which has of course been an integral part of our survival in the land of expensive food (and almost everything else), the markets and desserts, the wonderful musicals, the lovely walk along the Thames where Westminster, London Eye and Tower Bridge can be seen. It has been a real eye-opener really, living alone in London. And i like it. But i haven't always liked it, there were times I got tired of living in Big city London, sometimes feeling most insignificant, one of the 7 million floating around, not really feeling rooted. But, I overcame that, called this place my second home, liked the freedom to (dis)organize my life the way i want it (not that i was constrained at home, but you realize fully just what it means to live alone includes the whole package of settling your own meals which can be a real pain and next year, of course, washing the toilets and kitchen! haha!)

And priceless still is all the travelling.

Well, everything fell into place in the end because of the new friends i've made here. Thank you for being a part of this wonderful journey, you've made a difference and I hope i've been a good friend to you as well. Cheers for the LSE mates !

For now, i'm looking forward to meeting a few more friends next week... old-time friend Tien Tien, wacky Marvin... (i'm expecting a running commentary of the natural science museum!!) and Wennee ;) and i'm in the thick of football mania too. Thank goodness for digital TV on my laptop. The African teams have really earned my respect so far... Argentina vs Ivory Coast... and i was thinking, where in the world is Ivory Coast(it's in the South of Africa btw) but man did they put up a fight and so did Angola. Debutants... but the way they played, held their heads up high. SALUTE! They just lack the finishing... which is a real pity but i do hope to see at least one of the African teams make it to the next stage. And then i was thinking, if an African team does win the World Cup, what a boost it would be for their economy, national pride. It wouldn't be a bad thing.

With the packing almost wrapped up, i'm done with my business in London... for now. I haven't had enough of everything here. But, it's time to take a break from this complicated place, back to where everything began. We've come full circle... as i've been telling Flor (who is currently on the plane back home with her little bro, we were supposed to go back together, but unforseen circumstances!!! ) My friends, catch me swinging back into town, live on 19th June!

1 Comments:

  • learn my favorite site -

    [url=http://trailfire.com/adipex_online_a134?tab=Comments] generic adipex [/url]

    http://trailfire.com/adipex_online_a134?tab=Comments
    [url=http://trailfire.com/adipex_online_a134?tab=Comments] adipex 90 [/url]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home